Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Weekend

Made it thru another weekend. I think the phone rang twice for calls I wanted, several times for solicitations. And that was since last Monday. I lead such an exciting life. As I said, when it rains it pours, and we all know what it's like to be in a drought!

Job Hunt
Nothing on the horizon, just more applications, more empty phone calls, more emails into the Black Hole that is the Internet. I know, if you want the same results, do the same thing. So how else can I do this? I tried the networking thing, with the same results. I got most of my leads from Dice.Com, not the seekers group. Alas.

Movies
I did watch some movies this weekend, 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and 'Into The Wild'. The first was based on a book by the same name written by Philipa Gregory, relating to the end of Henry VIII's first marriage and his entire second marriage. The book was better than the movie. I'm a big fan of Tudor England, historical fiction and costume movies, so this was a given to watch. I've read several of Philipa Gregory's books and enjoyed them all, and this movie was a bit of a downer. There was so much to cover in her book, the movie didn't even come close. The seduction of Henry by Anne Boleyn was a long, intense time and the results were dramatic and all encompassing but the movie didn't seem to emphasize this. I wasn't real enthused with the actors either.

The other movie, 'Into The Wild', based on a book by Jon Krakuer. What an amazing story! It's a story of a recent college graduate who tosses his priviledged life and goes on the road. It's his story of survival and adventure, with a music score by Eddie Vedder. Pretty nice. I've always liked stories like this, I've always fancied myself as the 'adventurer', the 'explorer' but always with a saftey net.

This hits fairly close to home, the kid, Chris McCandless graduated from Emory in 1990, and he was from ' Annandale, Virginia, an affluent suburb of Washington DC located in Fairfax County'. 'He graduated from W.T. Woodson High School in 1986 '. I have an idea where he lived, I grew up in 'affluent' Annandale and my older sister graduated from WTW. The 'affluent' part that went to Woodson was not my neighborhood. But that's pretty much were the similarities stop. He went on to travel in the west, with no money or contact with his family. He ended up in the Denali National Park in Alaska (I've been there, but on a cruise ship). Watch the movie, it makes you think.

Oh, yeah, his birthday was Feb 12, 10 years younger, almost exactly.

The Future
Speaking of travelling, I've spoken to a real estate agent and I've decided to sell my house. I talked to my mommy and she said I could come live with her. You know what, I don't really want to get into all that's going thru my head right now, I'm trying to keep it positive, but I really don't see much positive in this entire situation right now.

More to come...
As things happen, I'll be posting. Thanks for taking the time to read. You're opinions are welcome but if you have to start calling me names, don't bother, I won't read them. As my Dad says 'Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.'

No comments: