Thursday, July 24, 2008

Just Rolling Along

Still waiting for news. Actually, I have a second telephone interview with a DC company this morning, so I will be brief with this post. The recruiter was nice enough to try to ease the burden on me getting to DC so fast, and for that I'm thankful, but I could may still have to go this weekend.

I got a phone call yesterday at 6pm from a company in DC looking to fill positions with a governement contractor for OPM in Suitland, Md. The recruiter was on his cell phone, as the signal wavered a lot and there were issues with comprehension, but he did say they were moving FAST to get this filled. He was working until 7 or 8pm last night, and they will be doing interviews on Saturday. Then he said he would like to put together a compensation package around $100K. And I said 'Let me see what's happening, I may have to be up there for another company.' ??? What? I'm like my mom, saying 'No' as a first reaction. BUT, there are a few things wrong with the picture. They are moving way to fast (IMHO) to make solid, quality decisions, who ever heard of the Federal Government moving so fast (??) and the location is in Suitland, MD, in lovely Prince Georges County. Read the link, they DO have a wikipedia entry for Suitland. They haven't called me back for another screening interview, so maybe it was just a blip. I will pursue the potential. I can be bought. Working in Suitland would be closer to my parents that working in Ashburn, maybe even Herndon. As the crow flies. Is there a Metro stop in Suitland?

Hiring Process
From what I can tell, here's the IT Hiring process: some junior recruiter will pull your resume from Dice.com or other job board based on 'bare bones' search criteria based on information sent by the client. They will then give you a call to see if you're still looking, if you're interested in the position and for a recent copy of your resume. They will then send your name to a more experienced recruiter, maybe even the account manager, who will review your information and maybe even do a phone interview. If you pass that, they then send you to the client, possibly the hiring manager, probably the HR department, for another interview or review. So it's no wonder I haven't heard much, with all that screening going on! I've heard statistics that you're resume has to be presented to at least 22 hiring managers before you get an interview.


Boil Water
I'm under a boil water order as the water treatment plant got zapped by lightening on Monday night and the back-up generator didn't kick in immediately. I used my dishwasher yesterday, I'm doing laundry (in cold water) now, and I've showered and brushed my teeth, using tap water. I forgot. It's not like it's a major news story... I will use bottled water to make my coffee this morning. Actually, for those coffee snobs, you should be using bottled water to make coffee.

Maybe more later, I have to refresh my memory with all these technical terms and buzz words for my 11am interview. Wish me luck...

More to come...
As things happen, I'll be posting. Thanks for taking the time to read. You're opinions are welcome but if you have to start calling me names, don't bother, I won't read them. As my Dad says 'Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.'

No comments: