Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy Birthday, USA

So it's a day early. Enjoy. Don't eat too much, don't get hurt with the fireworks and don't drink and drive.

Job Hunt
The phone has been ringing off the hook! Something about the start of the new quarter, I guess. My resume has been submitted to several hiring managers,just this week alone. Statistics say that your resume will have to be reviewed by 22 managers before you get an interview, so I must be close to that limit. Some have been here in the Atl area and some have been in the DC area. With a little luck, SOMETHING will happen soon. I just talked with a recruiter about a job that I meet all the criteria except one subject (UML). I told the guy I just finished a class in Use Case Modeling and UML, but I've never actually used it in a work situation. I find that annoying, they hire kids out of college as BA's with no experience, yet I meet 4 out or 5 criteria and can't get an interview.

Cheap, er, Frugal
Now that I'm unemployed(again!) I have to watch my pennies. I shop a lot at Kroger's grocery store, they have better prices than Publix. You can get lots of frozen dinners for a good price. You also get .10 off per gallon of gas for every $100 you spend at Kroger per month. It's not hard to do either, sepnd $100 at a grocery store or (in my case) fill up once a month. (One upside to being unemployed, not too much spent on gasoline!)

Kroger features 'manager specials' daily and with great prices, but what that really means is 'Stuff that is almost past the expiration date'. Now we all know the expiration date means 'Sell By' not Use By, so the stuff isn't ultra fresh, and it's still good, just don't let is sit around for awhile.
I'm off to a party tomorrow (more later) and I had to buy some bread and cheese to take. I got 2 loafs of bread on the Manager's special. I have to figure how to get those tags off...

Party
The party I've been invited to is a birthday party for my friend Joy. I worked with her at the Dept of Corrections and she invited me to join her at her Sunday school class awhile back. I've been going to the class for almost 2 months, and we've yet to see Joy, but such is life. At this party will be Joy and her new husband, some Church people, some DOC people, and some other friends of Joy's. I want to invite someone to go with me, but the problem is: Church people, recovering alcoholics and children. This is so NOT the kind of party I'm known for going to and certainly none of my friends would be interested. Actually, these are very nice people, the kids are teens and pre-teens, and the recovering alcoholics are cool. I may even descreetley take a bottle of wine. I'm looking forward to it, actually, it's a departure from my usual 'thing', but maybe that's not a bad thing.

New Interests
I have to get a job soon, I subscribe to 64 podcasts. One of them is learning Latin. OMG! Since I no longer get cable, there was absolutely nothing on TV Tuesday or Wednesday night, so I went to my craft room, put on an audiobook and worked on some jewelry. That was quite productive. I know so much crap about nothing. One of my favorite podcasts: 'Useless Information'. Lots of stuff about nothing.

Random thoughts
When someone leaves a comment on my blog, it's sent to my email account. I got one the other day and all it said was 'Rent your house and don't freeze the spaghetti'. When you haven't read the blog and forgot what you wrote, this statement is a bit unnerving. It was attributed to 'Anonymous', but I knew exactly who wrote it, my lovely Lil Sis. Great minds think alike or the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Philosophically, this sentence could take on lots of different meanings, but it could be the answer to lots of questions, rent your house and don't freeze the spaghetti. Think I'll get that tatooed somewhere.

My neighbor next door, whom I've not seen all that much, has her house for sale. She moved in a few years ago, I introduced myself to her when she moved in, and that's all I've seen of her. She seemed nice, she said she's allergic to almost everything, so she never comes outside. She's had a lawn service come in and take care of things and her yard always looks good. We'll see how long it takes to sell.

More to come...
As things happen, I'll be posting. Thanks for taking the time to read. You're opinions are welcome but if you have to start calling me names, don't bother, I won't read them. As my Dad says 'Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there logic to not freezing your spaghetti? Can you freeze someone else's? Is that allowed? Can you only freeze your spaghetti if you don't rent your house? If you rent your house does that naturally preclude you from freezing your spaghetti? What if you are feeling special and have PASTA. Can you freeze that? These are things I need to know.

JC wants to know if you freeze your spaghetti will it fall off? Does that apply to boys and girls?
Inquiring minds (or bored people with nothing better to do) want to know
Kisses,
Baby Neice

Anonymous said...

Freeze your house and rent your spaghetti.....