Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tuesday and All Is Well

The weather is Fantastic! Low humidity, low temperatures, sunny and warm. Couldn't really ask for more in July!

Happy Canada Day, eh?

Job Front
Well, today does bring some news. My phone was ringing this morning from recruiters, one in DC, one in Dunwoody. Still no interviews, but it's something. Hate to say this, but for every one job posted in Atlanta, there are at least 4 in DC. This is a sucky time to sell a house, but is it better to stay in a house and deplete all your investments, or sell it and get a job? Depending on which candidate gets into office, the jobs at the DOD will could continue to be strong. DC is immune to regular business cycles, as the main business is government. Only during the Reagan error was there a blip, but the DOD (Dept of Defense) was very big.

Cat Front
Those darn cats! It's a beautiful day, the birds are singing, it's nice and cool and I've got the windows open and where are the kitties? Asleep on the floor in my office. Go figure. It's 900 degrees outside, and they are sleeping in a sunbeam on the front porch, but the weather is nice and they stay inside. Last night was a cool night, and I love sleeping in weather like that. I had a fan in the window and the fan on the ceiling going (yes, I sleep in a wind tunnel) and I awoke about 3 am to a small, skinny kitty sleeping on my pillow, against my tummy. Insensitive me, I didn't think about poor little Remy, with all her hair shaved off. She crawled under the covers and stayed there for a few hours. I turned off all the fans and even got a light blanket! In July!

Things I've learned
In recent weeks, I've learned that:

there's a post office at North Dekalb Mall. I've lived here for 10 years, I've been driving passed the mall to go into Decatur to the main post office and here was this post office within walking distance. Who knew?

there's a Sonic in Tucker. With their Happy Hour where all drinks are 1/2 price, looks like I could be drinking a lot of cherry-limeaides with vodka. Who knew?

with 1 lb of hamburger and 1 lb of spaghetti noodles, you need 2 jars of sauce and it makes a Crap Load of spaghetti. Guess what I've been eating all week? I'm going to do the smart thing, I'm going to divide it up into reasonable portions and put it in the freezer, so all I have to do is dump it in a bowl and thaw it out.


Other Random Thoughts
Today is July 1st and lots of new laws go into effect today. Today it becomes legal for citizens with a permit to carry concealed weapons in restaurants and bars. They can't drink (yeah, right) but they can be there. But the front page article in the AJC talks about how security officials at Hartsfield will arrest anyone with a gun, just like before. I see many frivilous lawsuits over this one. Also going into effect: 4th time you're caught DUI, it's a felony. Why 4th time? What about 3 strikes and your out? The Georgia State Dichotomy: it is now legal to take an unfinished bottle of wine from a restaurant and transport it in your car(the Merlot-to-Go Bill). BUT it's STILL illegal to purchase bottles of wine on Sunday. Gotta love it. It's also legal to purchase wine from online distributors in and outside of Ga and ship it directly to the consumer. I thought you could already do that, seems I did a few years ago. Grandparents with custody of grandchildren can now act on behalf of the child. (what? they were custodial for a reason, weren't they?) and you can get out of jury duty if you are a caregiver and can't leave your patient alone. Some of these are definately a 'doh' situation. God bless our Legislature.

It's coming on July 4th, does everyone have their flag pins? This was a question to all the candidates for Senate on Fox 5 Sunday night. Why is this even a point? I noticed not one candidate actually answered the question asked, they recited their past actions and how good they've been to the people. I've got confidence in this crop. I want to ask Vernon Jones about his 'alleged' request to make Dekalb a 'darker' government. Does he still feel that way about the US Senate? Race really shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but I believe we haven't seen the issue fully exploited in the Presidental race. It will rear it's ugly head, again. Why can't we all just get along?

I'm also curious what will come of this tragic accident at Six Flags last week. This is a testimony to the current trend to get something for nothing. Everyone interviewed on TV said the kids climbed 2 (TWO!) fences clearly marked 'Staff only'. The parents said they will conduct their own investigation, which translates to 'we'll sue someone!'. What good will come of this? If they find Six Flags responsible for 2 kids ignoring all signage, then what will happen? Rules will be made to have all dangerous areas around a ride buried underground, physically unaccessable by the public and the prices to visit theme parks will go higher than they already are. There will be no rulings made to require parents to teach their kids to read and obey signs. This is another great example of Natural selection. It's a sad fact, the kid was probably a good kid (he was there with a church group), but he thought the rules didn't apply to him, and looked what happened. Rules were made to be broken, but some rules were made for your own good.

So enough BS. I'm going to enjoy what's left of today. I have to go to the Dept. of Labor to justify my Unemployment Insurance. (It's called a 'Review' and they just check what I'm doing, who I've applied to and all that. BFD) But first, I think I'll kick the cats out to the front porch.

More to come...
As things happen, I'll be posting. Thanks for taking the time to read. You're opinions are welcome but if you have to start calling me names, don't bother, I won't read them. As my Dad says 'Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rent your house and don't freeze the spaghetti.